Monday, November 21, 2011

Stuffed Green Peppers



This is an easy dinner I make when I don't have time to make a "full meal" so to speak. Your protein and carb is all stuffed into your vegetable. This is one of my mine and my husband's favorite meals.

Serves 4

Ingredients:



2 green bell peppers
1/2 onion chopped
1 clove garlic chopped
Half a pound of ground beef (or ground turkey)
16 oz of pasta sauce
1/2 cup of rice (white or brown)
1 cup mozzarella cheese

(not pictured)
Dried Italian seasoning
Parsley flakes
Black pepper
Crushed red pepper flakes
Franks Red Hot Sauce (optional)

First

Get your rice going. I use my rice cooker(s) all the time. I can never get it perfect on the stove! It's either too hard or too mushy or burnt.
If you have perfected stove top rice, you're my hero.

Sautee your garlic and onion for a few minutes, add ground beef and cook until browned throughout.

While your meat is cooking, prepare your peppers.

But first, preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Now cut each pepper down the middle.


Scoop out the innards with a spoon.


Lightly spray oven safe dish.

Arrange peppers on greased dish.


Add sauce.

Add spices




Add rice to sauce mixture.

Ooh, I forgot I added some shredded parmesan cheese I had left over.

Stir until all ingredients are combined.


Spoon into each pepper half.
Stuff them with as much as you can.


Bake at 400 F for about 40 minutes or until peppers are tender.

Top with cheese and put in oven for 5 minutes or until cheese melts.






If you think your plate it too bare with only the stuffed peppers on them, serve them with bread of some sort.

I love this meal because it's gluten free (double check the sauce you use is GF if you're not using homemade sauce( and pretty healthy. I've heard of some people substituting dried quick cooking oats for the rice. I haven't tried it, but I will someday.

1 comment:

  1. oh my goodness look how much cheese I LOVE cheese gotta try it. don't know when though.

    ReplyDelete