Monday, December 19, 2011

Easy Rice & Beans

Meatless Monday!

I don't know if I'm actually going to post a vegetarian meal every Monday or not, but a lot of blogs and cooking shows do it, so I decided to post this meal today.

I used to nanny for a vegetarian family. The mom had this dish at a restaurant in Minneapolis and loved it so much that she asked them how to make it and couldn't believe how easy it was.

Ingredients:

1 cup of rice (white or brown)
1 can black beans
1 can diced tomatoes
whatever seasonings you'd like
(I used Italian seasoning, salt & black pepper)

Cook your rice.

Dump your beans and tomatoes in a saucepan.

When rice is cooked, add to pot and heat long enough to heat tomatoes and beans through. Add seasonings, stir until combined.





This is a meal I make when we're in a hurry but still want something healthier than fast food.
It's satisfying enough to be a main dish, or simple enough for a side dish.

1 comment:

  1. If I knew these full length instructions were available (with images!) instead of the shorthand on Facebook, my first shot at cooking would have been superb.

    Aside from using double the quantity of rice (I read the measuring cup wrong) which my mom quickly troubleshot, this was a really good dish. I used diced tomatoes with a subtitle that read "Salsa." It was good and looked and tasted kind of like Pace Picante. I don't ever think I've ever had black beans either. I'm a Mexican who does pinto or refried. Sam and I also ate them with tortilla chips. Very easy to make and very tasty.

    ReplyDelete