Saturday, October 22, 2011

Bacon wrapped asparagus


I made this for the first time the other night, and my husband and I loved it!
We're both asparagus lovers, but I think even if you're not, you'll like this. It's covered in bacon. How could you not?

Oh yeah, and it's EASY!

I found the original recipe from Patricia Kitts on allrecipes.com, but I used her recipe as an idea, and changed it to fit our needs. I'm sure it's delicious Pat's way (yep, I just gave a stranger a nickname), but we live in an apartment and I'm too scared to use the grills down in the pool area...I don't know who cleans them! So this is my version of bacon wrapped asparagus, inspired by Pat!

Ingredients:
1 bunch of asparagus
Bacon (the thin stuff works great for this recipe)
Black pepper
Sea salt (not pictured)


Step 1:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Wash your asparagus and break off the ends.
(To break off, just bend it and it snap the end off where it gives the most)

Step 2:
Wrap your asparagus.
I used one slice of bacon per two spears of asparagus.
Just hold the two spears together so that they are even at either the top or the bottom. Start twisting the bacon starting near the bottom of the longest spear, and keep wrapping around the spear until before you get to the tips.

Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray, or line with NONSTICK aluminum foil (I love the stuff)

(I had an odd number, so one group has three spears)

Step 3
Lightly salt, and heavily pepper the bacon wrapped asparagus.
Place in oven for 15-20 minutes, or until bacon is cooked.


Place under broiler for 3-4 minutes to crisp bacon if it's too soft for you.

You can sprinkle parmesan cheese over them in the last few minutes if you desire.



It was delicious! I know I'll be making it many more times in the future.
Next time, I'm going to try baking the bacon for a few minutes before wrapping, so that the asparagus doesn't get quite so soft. I'll update after I've tried different ways.



No comments:

Post a Comment