Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Easier Than Pie Homemade Pie Crust


The thought of making my own pie crust used to intimidate me.
Seriously.
I actually googled "store bought pie crusts that taste homemade" so I could get that delicious taste without all of the work.
It was never even close to the deliciousness of homemade.

Well, it turns out that it's hardly any work at all!
It tastes so much better, is so much healthier than store bought, and you actually know what you're eating. 4 ingredients. That's it. Sound too good to be true? Try it.

This is a recipe that I found online and haven't changed a bit. It's perfect.
Here's the original recipe: www.allrecipes.com. Well, there was one change. I don't have a pie cloth. So I didn't use one.

Here it is again with my pictures.

You'll need a rolling pin, a pastry blender (or two forks), and a sharp knife.
See? Nothing fancy.

Ingredients:

1 and a 1/2 cups of flour
1/2 cup of shortening
1/2 tsp of salt
1/2 cup ICE cold water


Using a pastry blender (or two forks) mix flour, shortening, and salt together until very crumbly...like this:

A tablespoon at a time, add as much water as needed to hold mixture together


Ditch the pastry blender (or two forks) for a fork.


Get it to look like this...

Put your disk shaped dough into a Ziploc bag, and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.


On a floured surface, or between two pieces of waxed paper, roll dough out to your desired thickness. About 1/8 inch.
(For fruit pies, it should be a little thicker so the juices don't leak)




I don't have one of those fancy rolling boards (is that what they're called) with the measurements, so to make sure it'll fit in the pie pan, I place an upside down pie pan on top of the rolled out dough. Make sure you have enough room for the edge.



Take pan off, and place crust in pan making sure to press down on sides.

Now you can either fold edges under if you're going to make a fancy crust.

Or just cut the edges off if you're not. I didn't make this one fancy. Just pressed an angled knife in.




If you've never attempted a homemade pie crust, please do! Let me know how yours turned out.

1 comment:

  1. My recipe for homemade pie crust is so finicky so it's always a pain in the butt to make. I'll have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete