Friday, October 21, 2011

Doesn't-Get-Any-Easier-Than-These-Almond-Bars


I'm a nanny/household manager.
Basically, I watch kids and help busy parents out in their home.
Cleaning, cooking, organizing, errands, etc.
Then I come home and do it all again...without getting paid. (Well, minus the "watching kids" part...we're not going to be at that point for awhile!)

Anyways, at one of my old jobs in Minnesota, I went to one of my nanny family's neighborhood block parties.
Since I did the cooking and baking for "my" family, I should be able to enjoy the neighbors' cooking and baking, right? I thought so.
One of the neighbors, Alyson, made these AMAZING almond bars. I couldn't stop eating them. Forget the pulled pork sandwiches and 20 kinds of pasta salads, I filled up on almond bars (of course while making it seem like I was nibbling on one, instead of feasting on three.)

The next day, I came to work and guess what my nanny family had brought home? A whole plate of Alyson's leftover almond bars! I had another one and begged Doug (my boss) to get the recipe from his neighbor. He tried and tried and she kept on saying"I'll email it to you."

I gave up hope.

Until one day...

I checked my email and got an email from Doug with "Doesn't-Get-Any-Easier-Than-These-Almond-Bars" (From my neighbor Alyson) in the subject line.

Oh. Happy. Day.

I have made them multiple times for various potlucks, and I get the same response every time. "These are amazing!"

I made them last night for an event, and I'm about to make them again for something else tonight. Main reason being...when I made them last night, I took pictures along the way, but forgot to take any of the finished product...which you NEED.

Ingredients:

3/4 cup melted butter
1.5 cups sugar
2 eggs
1.5 cups flour
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp real almond extract
sliced almonds to sprinkle on top
1 tsp decorating sugar (or just regular granulated sugar)


Step 1:
Combine all ingredients into medium bowl and stir until mixed thoroughly




Step 2:
Pour into greased 8x8 pan



Step 3:
Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes, being very careful not to over bake. (My oven is a beast, so it takes about 28 minutes in mine.) During the last 10 minutes, sprinkle with sliced almonds and 1 Tbsp sugar. (I like to use the large crystal decorating sugar because it's prettier and I like the crunch -- just an idea...As you'll see in the picture below, I am out of decorating sugar, so I just topped with regular granulated sugar.)


Cool completely before cutting.
I like to put them in cupcake liners to make them fancier, but you can just put them all on a plate if you're not trying to impress anyone.

Mmm...just looking at these make me wished I'd made another batch for Tim & I...
Hope you enjoy these easy and delicious bars as much as everyone I know that's tried them does!

No comments:

Post a Comment