Monday, October 24, 2011

Spaghetti Squash "Lasagna"

The first time I bought a spaghetti squash, I didn't know what to do with it.
So I googled "spaghetti squash" and I looked at a bunch of different recipes and ways to prepare it.
I saw a few recipes for spaghetti squash "lasagna" and decided it looked yummy and decided to try it.
My version of it.
a.k.a
The easiest version ever.

I happened to be out of homemade pasta sauce, and making another batch of it while making this meal, so I had to use the jarred stuff. I don't mind the jarred stuff if I need it, as long as I add vegetables and spices to it to make it "semi-homemade."

Ingredients:

Makes 2 HUGE servings. More like 4, but if I say 2, everyone gets their own shell.

1 spaghetti squash
1 lb of ground meat (we prefer beef, but I'll try this with ground turkey too)
1/2 onion
2 TBL chopped or minced garlic
1 jar of pasta sauce (I added sauteed onion and garlic, diced green pepper, Italian seasoning, black pepper, & red pepper flakes)
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
2 cups shredded parmesan cheese

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 F
Stab spaghetti squash all over with a knife, and put in oven
Cook for approximately 45 minutes or until semi-soft and fragrant

(Do this while squash is baking)
Chop up half of an onion, and 2 TBL of garlic.
Heat olive oil in a frying pan on medium high heat, sautee onion & garlic in oil 3-5 minutes.
Add ground beef and cook until cooked thoroughly.
Drain meat if necessary.


Add pasta sauce and cook until heated.

Remove squash from oven when it's ready, and with a large knife, cut in half lengthwise.
Let cool before removing pulp and seeds.

When cool enough to touch, remove seeds and pulp with a fork.
Scrape the flesh of the squash that looks like spaghetti with a fork, while keeping skin in tact, and place in a medium bowl.


When you've scooped as much flesh out as you can, place both halves of the squash into a baking dish.
Add a handful of "spaghetti" to a shell, top with a kitchen spoonful of sauce/meat mixture, top with cheese. (I actually took a slice of pepper jack cheese and ripped it in half for the first layer.)


Repeat layering twice, using a handful of shredded mozzarella cheese for the second layer, and a handful of shredded parmesan for the top layer.

Repeat layers on second half.



Bake at 375 F for 20 minutes or until steaming hot and cheese is melted.
Transfer to plate using two forks.
Be careful doing when transferring. I wasn't very careful with the first one, so it dumped on the plate. Still delicious, just not pretty. The pictured one is the pretty one.



Mmm...low carb deliciousness.



1 comment:

  1. Made this last night... it was AWESOME! I assembled it in a 8x11.5 pan to make serving sizes a little easier to control and it worked great. I did three layers of squash, sauce and cheese. (For the cheese, I mixed a 2c. bag of mozzarella and a 1.5c. bag of parmesan.) Oh, and the leftovers tonight were awesome. I will totally make this again!

    ReplyDelete